$1.99 Domains* at GoDaddy.com

Thursday, August 11, 2005

Tip toe

A routine visit to my favourite waiter gave me something interesting to think about today. Tipping. It has long been a big issue in the restaurant business worldwide. Well, at least between America and the rest of the world.

Just look at the divided opinion from the comments page for the post. The original post is the waiter's response to Steven Shaw's suggestion to implement the 'service charge' instead of tips, much like the rest of the world. And the response to it, love them. Simply fascinating. Do yourself a favor and enjoy discovering where you stand on this matter.

Let me tell you, I'm 100% behind the rest of the world when it comes to tipping. Dont get me wrong. I love waiter rant. His stories, fantastic. But tipping is just not my thing. Plus, it's very uncommon here in Malaysia. It bugs me that I get to pay for service charges when there is hardly any decent and worthy service given. I've never gone so far as to decline paying the service charge after getting bad service or no service at all. It always makes me feel that I have been cheated and that makes it harder to live the day.

I've had my share of waiting in my life. And thanks to hollywood movies, I knew waiters in America receive tips rightfully deserved. Boy did I wish I worked in America and wait the American way back then. Coz I waited damn well. But that is just not how it works here. And that didn't change my attitude toward waiting either. Waiting on tables is a real job and I did mine with pride and responsibility. I always knew I did well when a customer is satisfied and they show it with a smile, a thank you and come back for more. That kept me going and helped me through rough times.

As a diner, it is always nice to be in a place with good service. And it is common knowledge that the higher standard restaurants charge more for good food and service. But that is not always the case and it's on days like these that you just feel like tearing the whole place down. Never ask "does it get worse?" because it never fails to.

So, whats the difference between paying service charge for good and bad service? Not much, just paying it with a satisfied and content feeling and you will definitely come again. No doubt.

No comments:

Post a Comment