$1.99 Domains* at GoDaddy.com

Monday, August 08, 2005

Starry, starry night

















I don’t know why but this ringing suddenly floats in my head. Like there aren’t enough things to occupy this Malaysian idle.

I guess it’s the hazy, hazy days.

Anyway, it’s kinda nice to be reminded about Vincent today. It made me Google him up.

His work, so great. His life, so sad.

Vincent Van Gogh

My first artist interest. Back when I was in form 4 or 5, the year, 1995, there was this collectible series from Marshal Cavendish. Whatever your interest, they publish them. In collectible partworks. There was the dinosaur series, handicrafts, the universe and more. First issues were usually sold at introductory promotional price, half.

I wasted no time and picked up Great Artists. The first issue featured, you guessed it, Vincent. Being a student, I could only afford half of anything so I never bought the remaining i-don’t-know–how-many issues. With the only edition available, I absorbed the contents for what it’s worth. I learned to appreciate his work and feel his life.

It was touching to learn about a life so troubled, and yet, so inspired. He was doing great but his health just went the other direction. As if his tragic death wasn’t bad enough, his loving brother gave up living soon after.

Years passed as I went to college. Eventually I learned about this song, Starry, starry nights. It was a beautiful song and it still captivates me now. Don Mclean did it right. And Josh Groban nailed it tight.

Click here to feel starry, starry night.

No comments:

Post a Comment