$1.99 Domains* at GoDaddy.com

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Snail Suckin' Sunday

Last Sunday I experimented with these river spiral snails. I bought a pack from the Sunday morning market near my apartment. I believe they’re called ‘bali tong’ in Chinese. In Malay, it is called ‘siput sedut’, literally snail sucked. Well, that’s how you get it out, you suck.

I clipped off the butt to facilitate the sucking and while preparing the ingredients, I saw them move, no butts! They were alive, even after a few hours in the fridge, not frozen of course.

The flesh were colorful so I thought I take a few shots of my raw material before plunking them into boiling water.

Since it’s my own meal, I decided to suck each one out and stir fry them without the shell. It’s Sunday and I got the whole afternoon see.

The verdict, it’s better to stir fry with the shell coz my dish turned out to be extremely slimy. It’s like eating them alive! Although it did help them speed down my throat.
And there is still that green matter on each one. No wonder they are sucked, bypassing the unsightly look.

I should have done more research, for preparation and the recipe. Sigh*

Another sucking session next week I expect.

A lively picture don't you think?


The shell makes it look a lot. It actually is very little.

Yes, I love chillies. The other green matter. This dish is stir fried with some tumeric powder, hence the color.

You'll have to search for the recipe since I don't have a proper one, yet. Experimenting remember?

Escargot anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment