$1.99 Domains* at GoDaddy.com

Monday, March 20, 2006

Freakin' fritters

The oil price increase has shown some effects in my world. One of my colleagues have taken the bus to work because his car guzzled 15 bucks a day to work. That is simply outrageous!

Yesterday my housemate bought some traditional tea time treats called ‘kuih’, specifically prawn fritters or cucur udang (cucur=fritters, udang=prawn).

The fritters were not obvious so I asked him what they were.

“The seller said they are prawn fritters but I don’t see any prawns in them” he said.

“Ah, very typical of them. Opportunists business people. It’s the oil price I tell you. Everybody is using it as an excuse to reduce the quality and/or serving to cover their operation cost rake more profit.” I said.

And don’t even bother asking why there are no prawns in your prawn fritters. They’ll ask you ‘do you see any kodok(toad) in your cucur kodok (toad fritters)? Or are there any badak(rhino) in your cucur badak (rhino fritters)? No! It’s just a namesake.

Pretty soon we’ll have no banana in our banana fritters. Impossible you say? Believe me, impossible is nothing. Nothing, that’s what you’ll get if price keeps on increasing.

And then there is the fried noodles dish we love so much called mi goreng. (mi=noodles, goreng=fried). It used to be a cherished dish of the street vendors and hawker centers. A complete meal with meat and vegetables thrown in. However, today, it is not a delicious dish easily found everywhere. It has gone through a negative evolution in most places and all you get today is mi go-wrong! Gone, I tell you.

They say money makes the world go round. Well, at the rate things are going, it seems my world is spinning out of control. But what can I do?

Roll with the punches, adapt and evolve. And keep smiling.

Although I suspect some are laughing their way to the bank.

No comments:

Post a Comment