$1.99 Domains* at GoDaddy.com

Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Leave that pun alone!

How often have you heard someone say ‘no pun intended’? Yeah, seldom. Click the title to dig the meaning. That’s right. It’s a witty remark, usually meant to bring out the more cheerful side of anything. To me, puns are always appreciated, so long as it is not overdone. Funny is always good, I believe. Different people have varying tolerance and recognition toward puns. And all have different pun abilities and most of the times, one’s pun make a big impression on oneself. At least that’s how I get a first impression on people's personalities.

It somehow reflects how smart and sharp a person is at manipulating words which describe issues or subject matters into funny remarks, a one liner or some sort. It may also act as a window to the person’s mind. Again, it works for me. For example, there are times when I just know and feel that a person’s funny remark is bone dry, offensive or delightfully juicy. These automatically register as points for character judgments which subsequently lead to compatibility. The result may not be accurate when used alone and I know I have no right to judge others but give me a break, we all need good peer selection.

This article however does not intend to explore the definition and role of puns. No sir, because I myself have less that a paragraph of words for elaboration. Let’s leave that to Webster. What this entry really does is express how I feel about people who tend to say ‘no pun intended’ when they actually do. I know this may make me very unpopular but who’s polling? Plus, I really don’t care.

If you feel me on this, read on. Otherwise move along and thanks for your time.

This is the issue of the unintentional punster. Take these puns for a ride and see how you like them. They were extracted from www.punoftheday.com under funniest puns.

1. I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me.

2. Police were called to a daycare where a three-year old was resisting a rest.

3. He drove his expensive car into a tree and found out how the Mercedes bends.

4. A bicycle can't stand on its own because it is two-tired.

And loads more from the site. Go visit won'cha. Of course a pun that we come up with may not be as hillarious but you get the picture. Now imagine a person telling you these puns in the middle of a speech and at the end adds 'no pun intended'. Come freaking on. He must have used up some brain energy to come up with them. Why foolishly deny it? Oh, so we're supposed to think that he's naturally punny? That he's the pun factory? Absolutely not. Instead he now sounds like a person in need of an ego boost.

I can't deny that we accidentally come up with something that turns out to be a good pun. Pun is in fact considered obvious humor. And somehow in life, we learn how to detect and acknowledge an unintentional pun. But, even if you don’t intend it, be a good sport and humor others once in a while. And when others say “That’s a good pun" we should say thank you and be proud of it. And maybe if we really mean it, we can add “Actually it wasn’t intended.”

I'm puzzled that most adults groan when a pun is told. The expression 'pun is the lowest form of wit' and all equivalences should be banned. And why should we be ashamed of telling puns and admitting it. We should really be more like children and love this kind of humor. It is fun.

So, if you hear a good pun, enjoy it. If you accidentally tell a good pun, take the credit, enjoy the moment and leave that pun alone!

No comments:

Post a Comment