$1.99 Domains* at GoDaddy.com

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Village Coffee

After much delay, I finally got my hands on Kopi Kampung (lit. Village Coffee), a Starbucks Black Apron Exclusive from my favorite store. This particular offering comes from the Sapan and Minanga market towns in Northern Toraja, Sulawesi, Indonesia. Friends, I know, the former sounds like Sapen, but let's not go there.

Upon opening the bag, a lovely pungent scent emanates, almost like durian being served somewhere distant. There's also sesame oil. Talk about complex!


As I slowly grind the beans using the new member of my collection, this earthy/woody smell registers from the small mill drawer.


The first test was from my espresso machine. It was so good I moaned. It has a rich and full body. Smooth and elegant. I had to have another shot! And then I decided to have another shot from the normal Sulawesi beans I had previously. They're different, but I'm not sure how.

I daftly had three shots of espresso aroung 11pm last night! Ever hypnotized yourself to sleep?

And this morning I had a rich cup of dripped Kopi Kampung. The same smooth and earthy feel swirled in my mouth, signified by a tangy twist. A twang. Somewhere around the bend came this multiple spice notes, of which I'm still trying to identify.

As my empty cup dries up in my air conditioned office, I picked it up, took a deep breath of the lingering scent inside and was immediately transported to a wood fired kitchen, the one we used to have in my own village a long time ago. A kerosene stove is somewhere nearby.

They say you can't put a single definition on Sulawesi beans - a personal experience is critical.

I agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment