$1.99 Domains* at GoDaddy.com

Monday, March 29, 2010

Sign of the times

The traffic was kind to me today so I arrived at my workplace with 10 minutes to spare.  Time to get breakfast I said cheerfully, steering toward McDonalds Uptown instead of the parking area nearby.
Unfortunately there was no available space for me to park my car for a quick five minutes breakfast run.  I didn't want to double park so I made another circle around the block for the nearest space only to spot a nasi lemak stall by the road side.

The image of Sausage McMuffin was instantly replaced by a fragrant pack of nasi lemak complete with ass kicking sambal. I ordered 'biasa' with a fried egg and took out one ringgit from my wallet and dug a few sen from my pocket.

My breakfast was swiftly handed to me in exchange for RM2.20

"That's quite pricey..." I told myself but paid the woman anyway. 

I walked back to my car with a few questions clouding my mind.  So that's how it is now eh... A decent nasi lemak is already RM2.20.  This reminded me of another stall nearer to my office which charged me RM4 for a nasi lemak with sotong.

Don't get me wrong, I have no qualms about having a four ringgit breakfast. In fact, my sausage mc muffin would have cost RM4.50, with good coffee, that is.

It's the short duration that bugs me.  Is this inflation accelerated? Something that goes in parallel with global warming?

It was only last year, or two, that a pack of nasi lemak with a fried egg would cost RM1.50
And we're not talking about the donkey years, the years our parents and grandparents love to describe how cheap things were back then.

I wonder how things fare in the more suburban areas.  Are there still one ringgit nasi lemak biasa around?
The rice portion was generous though. And that's my cranky coffee mill by the way, fully functional and absolutely reliable to the last crank.  Nothing beats the combo of nasi lemak and good coffee, freshly ground and brewed.

14 comments:

  1. A plain packet easily costs btw rm1.20 to rm1.50 nowadays. The fried egg wld lessen your coffers by a minimum rm0.50.

    It's still a cheap alternative though. I love my nasi lemak bungkus! ^_^
    +Ant+

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh...besnya...I am so hungry now. Can hear the thunder outside...going to rain so...if only now can have a nice nasi lemak with sotong and petai....fuiyo...

    ReplyDelete
  3. in front of standard charted, i paid rm3 for ayam rempah and telur goreng.

    behind my office, i paid rm2 for nasi sambal bilis and telur goreng.

    after i paid this morning. i turned my face to other side and said "wtf?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gus, RM4.50 is still quite cheap. If you are in the USA, RM4.50 = USD1.48 for me is still cheap...6months ago, I always converted all things in my head, now I don't care anymore...I want to enjoy what I have here for right now on..I don't want to regret for not enjoying myself enough!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gus, I think that's PJ pricing. Everything in PJ is hiked up in price except skirts - Those are still conservatively long.

    *ahem*

    Anyway. For that size Nasi Lemak and for that price, roadside stall nearby KLCC Ampang park LRT would have included sotong, whole boiled egg and the usual jim-bang. I would know, eating it now. RM2 only. Nyom nyom nyom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ohhhh i have to agree with you, the combination of scalding hot coffee plus the stinging sambal fulamakkkk syiok lar hahahaha i miss tat

    ReplyDelete
  7. that's a lot of nasi lemak for rm2.20 la my dear. btw, nice to hear from you again, always love reading yr blog :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. hello Augustus,

    Thanks for visiting my blog. You have many blogs here and I am still unsure which one to read. Hehehe

    Thanks to Macdonald yeah. I love their breakfast menu too. But didn't have the chance to go there always. Nasi lemak for Rm1.50? Gee...inflation is really taking its toll. I still remember i paid RM1.00 for a nasi lemak with a fried egg a few years back. Now Rm1.50?...fuyooo...that's expensive dude.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The nasi lemak worth the RM2.20. Looks delicious. Yaloh, nowadays everything become so expensive. Everything up but only gaji no up. What to do? Next time maybe need to eat 2 meals instead of 3 to save money liao. Government said Malaysia economy is good and will post 6-8% growth. My foot for economy growth but inflation will be 6-8% lah.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yep! For me, nasi lemak wins hands-down too. Gone are the days when plain nasi lemak was only for 50 sen. Sigh..

    ReplyDelete
  11. the next time u're around taman melawati/wangsa maju/setapak, be sure to give me a call. i'll take u for a rm5 nasi lemak but it's worth the price baby. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gratitude, that makes the two of us. Our cheap alternative is getting not so cheap unfortunatey.

    smallkuching, sotong and petai? can I add prawns with that? yum.

    crazybeautiful, right back atcha!

    faisal, now you know eh... bet you came back the very next day with a vangeance...

    dayung, that's the spirit! while it lasts babe...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Izso, lucky you. wait till i get my cheap fix.

    manglish, here's another image; nasi goreng and coffee... perghh..

    nimi, good to be back. I miss sumuk.. guess she moved on... time to get comfy with nimi then.

    willie, good to have you here as well. Tell you what, I read all your blogs and you read all of mine... sounds fair don't it? just kidding; I know I have issues, not one but many. Subscribe to which ever issue you feel good about. that'll make my day.

    superman, the way things are going, it looks more like growth, not.

    happy, yeah, those dog gone years of 50 sen. but you're not that old la. wait, i think that was when I was in primary 1 or 2. hmmm, I am old.

    tina, yay, nasi lemak maju setapak lagi ke hadapan...

    ReplyDelete