$1.99 Domains* at GoDaddy.com

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Haloscan is dead

And so are my comments.  They're tucked away in a nailed coffin, an .xml file I could never figure out how to extract or install into blogger, and there seems to be no other equivalent free commenting system available out there except one, a clone of haloscan they say.

It is called tridentscan.  The blessed person that runs the system is Kirk, and Kirk only.  He's one good soul, helping people with their xml exports, putting everything in place one blogger at a time.  Go to this site http://tridentscan.jaggedseam.com/ to get email information on how to get back your comments streams back in line.  I haven't decided to e-mail him yet cos my blog is as quiet as the sewer.  Heck even the sewer has more activity.

Not sure how long this would last though.  It could be a very long time but what guarantee do I have that tridentscan won't end up like haloscan.  Haloscan has been serving people for so many years that most would just go with the paid service simply to avoid the hassle.  Hmm, it does sound like entrapment, some even call it blackmail, or extortion. On the other hand, to be fair, people have been enjoying the free good service for many years, so it does seem appropriate to give back a little, only if the service is worth the price, of course.  

As for myself, I've decided to use the default blogger commenting system and making it open to anonymous, but I don't suppose I'll be using it much.  I don't even get a spam comment. That's how long I've left blogging.  In fact, there isn't a single post in 2009!  One year of solace. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment