$1.99 Domains* at GoDaddy.com

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Death and taxes

My friend asked for my help to renew his car road tax and insurance as it is expiring soon and he would be away for several days.  It's easy to do all that with banks near my area and the post office nearby.  I already have all the required documents. However, he's been waiting for the cash to do it since last week because one of his client is a bad paymaster. He promised me he'll have the money this week and since today is already Thursday, I decided to check with him, remind him lest he forgets.

"Any good news for us?" goes my text.

"Aku on the way ke Cyberjaya ambik cheque, harap2 dapat cepat. Esok roadtax mati. Woohoooo" he replied.
Translation [I'm on the way to Cyberjaya to get the cheque.  Hope I get it soon. Road tax 'die'(expires) tomorrow. Woohooo"

Now that's good news but it does make me worry.  The word 'mati' doesn't sound good, and to end that with 'woohooo' just gives me the impression that he is driving like a madman, top down, wind blowing in his hair and not a care in the world about his own safety; as long as his road tax does not 'mati'. Do you get the picture?

So I replied "Please drive safe, road tax mati tak apa...[tak apa=nevermind]"
I wanted to add "jangan kau mati sudah."[as long as you don't die] but it sounds taboo and kinda steers the scene to that direction.

He replied "Hehehe. I will dude. Death & taxes can't be avoided"
Ok, now I'm really worried but I'm pretty sure he's got everything under control.

I replied "Yes, death of road tax, life must go on" and prayed he doesn't reply, for his own sake, and mine.
He should be focusing on driving.

And I don't want to kill him with another text about tax.

6 comments:

  1. LOL some people do have pantang about the word mati kakaka

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL.. SMS-ing while driving. I think it would've been safer to just call him. Less miscomunication.

    A conversation is made up of :

    85% body language
    15% tonality
    5% words

    So a text message is only 5% of what you want to say and can be very easily misread.

    But that's besides the point.

    You have an interesting blog. You got a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whatever, as the message is clear.....btw thanks for drop by at my site.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup, really not easy to concentrate if typing sms while driving. I am kept telling myself not to do it also. :) Really dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey misteragus, good to see you here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey guys, sorry for the late reply.

    Smallkuching, Yeah, some people use the word mati with caution and some just use it to end every sentence, till they die.

    Izho, very true. And face to face is even better coz body language gives away some things a person prefer to hide. Not sure how much that makes up the conversation tho. Thanks for following, and I follow yours too.

    Nebular, I was blog surfing and yours stopped the waves. Good to see you here too.

    Superman, to me, text is something you send out when you don't expect the person is able to attend to you instantly. I always give my text half an hour for a response. Like this particular one,I wasn't expecting an instant response because I know he'll need time to find out and get back to me thereafter. But sometimes I text urgent messages too, not expecting much tho. If I don't get a response, then I'll call. All that said, texting while driving can and does kill.

    Tinaaaaa.... good to see you here too. U got a web space I can roam in? Or is it strictly Tina 'Private' Turner now.

    ReplyDelete