$1.99 Domains* at GoDaddy.com

Friday, January 27, 2006

Out of body: Part 3/3: About life...

I slept like a rooster eager to crow at the sight of sunrise. And considering the grave situation thrown at me, I was indeed waiting for the morning to mature. How I long to be relieved of the duty I was reluctantly assigned; when I could finally get some proper sleep. I squinted at the wall clock and saw that it was 5am. ‘People are going to wake up late today’ I sighed.

I was not sure how long I must have dozed off and how grandpa was doing, but I was so glad that morning had finally come. The sound of trickling water from the shower and the bathroom door opening woke me up. Still lying in bed, I glanced toward the washroom and saw my sister walking out. I got up and walked toward the washroom to clean up for a proper bed time. But something did not feel right. All the more strange when I thought I saw a figure on the bed where I had lay, from the corner of my left eye.

I turned around and saw that there was someone lying there. A male about my age and size, wearing only white shorts, and was sound asleep. He was flat on his back, both arms straight on his sides. I froze. I was too shocked to move and take a closer look, No explanation came to me except that the person lying there was myself, my own body! What the hell am I doing, standing here, when I am supposed to be there? No…No…This is not happening! I refused to accept this. I tried to get a hold of myself and told myself not to panic and remain calm. But it was no good. Standing there I felt all my blood draining down to the floor, sending painful chills from head to toe. I felt light. Sadness came over me and I was trembling. It was the deepest sorrow I have ever felt in my whole but seemingly short life. Tears blurred my vision but I blinked many times to wipe them away. Then I remembered about my sister. Her name is Lora but we call her La. I called out to her. ‘La, please come her for a moment’

‘What is it?’ she asked as she walked out of her room, oiling her hair.

Without looking at her and still facing my body I said ‘There, look’

Lora stepped back, a look of shock and disbelief instantly beamed on he face. She looked at me and the bed several times. She said nothing and after a long while held my arm. With her oily palms she squeezed my arm and softly asked ‘Are you really dead?’ Horror and sadness clouded her face.

The reality struck me hard. No! I can’t be! It’s not time yet. I pulled away from Lora and stormed toward my body, trembling and teary. One look was all it took to make my decision. I positioned myself over my lifeless body, lying on my side with my head resting on my left arm. It felt surprisingly easy to get back into my body. Once I was sure my soul and body were one, I told myself, ‘Here we go Agus, You’ve passed the first step. Now get ready to wake up again.’

I counted to three and sprang out of bed. I walked a few steps away to get a wider angle but to my dismay, my body was still in bed. And my left eye felt swollen.

‘Damn!’ I cursed.
‘One more time. This time spring up quicker and jerk harder.’ I coached my soul. My heart was beating insanely fast due to anxiety and desperation.

So I got back into my body and waited a few seconds until I felt whole again. Gathering as much energy and will as I could, I was determined to make it the second time. ‘On three…one, two, three’ and I stood upright again, staring at my body that I had come to despise very deeply.

Before the sadness and hopelessness overwhelmed me completely, I decided to attempt another revival. ‘Come on Agus, you can do this. Third time’s a charm. Spring quick, turn swift, jerk hard and kick with all your might! If that won’t do it, I don’t know what will!’ I offered myself last words of strategy and support. I didn’t care how beaten up clichés they were, because all I wanted was to get out of bed, alive!

‘On three! One…two…three!’

True enough I woke up a wholly happy man! I was partially lying on my side, the back of my head on the pillow. ‘But why am I still lying in bed, not standing up like previous attempts?’ I asked. I looked around and the sun was shining, it’s rays peered through the window. The smell and sound of breakfast being prepared came from downstairs; coffee, toast, I never thought they could make me cry. I grabbed my arms, looked at them, squeezed one after the other, rubbed my palms over and around my face and knew for certain that it was over. It was just a series of bad dreams. A dream about waking up on the wrong side, the other side. My sore left eye turned out to be the result of being pressed on my left bicep.

I have never come to a conclusion so quickly and feeling ecstatic about it so instantly. I am and will always be alive and well, till the day I really die. But let’s not go there just yet. There is life to be celebrated. Life to live and savor, every breathing moment of it.

After the dust in my head settled, I started thinking, gathering bits and pieces of events in dream and real time. It made me smile. I let out a soft chuckle. Hah! Was that a bizarre dream or what! All that mystical ritual and an injured grandfather messed up my head real good last night.

Grandpa! Where’s grandpa? I went downstairs and saw grandpa sipping hot coffee and watching tv. All well and as composed as an owl. His head was still wrapped, neatly this time. My sister was in the kitchen stirring her drink when I asked her about grandpa. ‘We’re taking him to the hospital after breakfast, which is soon. He looks okay though.’ She said.

Good. I hope he’s not seriously injured. No internal bleeding or fatal infections.
Before turning away, I stared at Lora for a while, trying to fish out any strand of knowledge about my dream.
‘What?’ she asked. I hinted a smile and said ‘Nothing…’
Damned! It feels good to be alive!

.
.
.

There you go. A story about a real dream that I would never, ever wish come true; it was just a dream. A story about a dream laced with heavy suspiscions of the effects of watching too much tv, Ghost, The Collector and Tru Calling to name a few. A story out of this world, or rather, out of this body...

No comments:

Post a Comment