$1.99 Domains* at GoDaddy.com

Friday, January 20, 2006

Idol

I got home from work yesterday and as usual ended up on the couch watching tv. After a while my housemate came up to me and asked “How come you’re suddenly devoted to American Idol?”

I was rendered speechless. Just then I realized what I’ve turned into. For the past seasons of the show I have ignored all the hype that surrounded it. People were talking about it day in day out. The media’s coverage was suffocating. The public’s admiration and support were mind blowing. The gossip and emotional outburst, of judges, contestants and supporters, were puzzling and at times irritating. There were temptations and opportunities to have myself hooked, more than I could handle, but I did not bite. I know Kelly, Ruben, and Fantasia won previously. I came to like Bo Vice (correction, Bice, thanks HappySurfer) and thought he should have won. But that is about all I can immediately remember without straining my memory stick and a few clicks on Google.

But now I find myself catching the second audition in Denver. Maybe I got used to the hype, and know how to handle the comments by the three judges. Maybe, I think I understand what it is all about; entertainment and revenues; and take it as it is. Maybe I've come to notice the change in attitudes of the contestants and their supporters; how they view the big picture. Maybe I've accepted the endless range of human behavior, characteristics and psychology; how I can never begin to comprehend and will not attempt to.

Truth be told, I do enjoy the entertaining moments. The insanely funny and outrageous efforts to grab attention. The touching and inspiring small steps to victory. The surprising ‘yes’ verdicts especially from Simon when we expect him to brutally murder it. Unfortunately there are moments of deeply embarrassing performances that make me look away, squint and frown and lower down the volume. But that’s all in the name of entertainment.

I guess there is no harm in watching and I’ll stop when I’ve had enough. And to my housemate I only said “I don’t know really. Just to keep up to date about the show, while I still can”

No comments:

Post a Comment