$1.99 Domains* at GoDaddy.com

Thursday, January 05, 2006

Can you help me?

I was around Bintang Walk during lunch, heading to Low Yat plaza to get a USB external hard disk housing when all of a sudden this Caucasian guy came up to me and said hi. I was caught off guard and I suspect that’s the deal. Of all the people that passed by he jumped on me just as I was looking up to eye level. See, I have this thing, call it asian if you wish but I try not to make eye contact with people I pass on the street. I usually keep a view of legs and body so as not to bump into people. Only once in a while that I look up and give a good scan just in case I happen to see someone familiar, or for whatever reason. And it is at this point that this so called tourist got me. He immediately asked if I speak English and I said yes. I thought he was going to ask for direction or something.

He smiled and continued, “I was in Langkawi a few days ago, on a vacation, when I got this problem. You see my belongings were stolen and I lost most of my documents, passport, wallet. I’m from England. If you go there one day you’d have a nice place to stay.”

Huh? What’s helping you got to do with me going to England? I help because I can and want to, not whether you promise me something in return.” These thoughts came to me instantly. At this point all the scam stories flooded in. Stories of foreigners asking for currency exchange, black money, help to get money for deceased family member in foreign banks, etc.etc.

But he’s a fast talker and continued, “I lost almost everything”. He took something from his pocket and I heightened my guard. He unfolded a copy of a police report and said “I’ve made a police report, here, look.”

I glanced at the piece of paper and there was the police logo and stamp on it, a police report document no doubt, complete with signatures and all. But I took caution not to touch anything so after a few moments he folded it and put it back in his pocket.

“I’ve contacted home and my father is sending me the things I need. So what do you think?”

I was lost for words. While still smiling I tried to find good answers, excuses to get away before anything bad happens to me. How can I tell him that I want to help him but there are so many scams and tricks these days, people are often left thousands of bucks poorer.

How to tell him that I’ve heard about many incidents reported in the papers and don’t want to make the statistics or front page? Also, I need to know what is it that he wants from me. Sure, he needs help but what kind? Plus, he looked relaxed enough for a man who lost precious documents and cash in a foreign land. He has only the clothes on his back, but for all I know, it’s his tactic. Well clothed I must add.

Finally he leaned toward the direction I was looking and asked, “Can you help me?”

Yes, finally a valid question. Now’s my chance. Still sporting the smile I said “I don’t think so. You need to….”

Before I could complete the sentence he instantly turned away, as quick as he had came up to me earlier. I got a glimpse of his disappointed face and quickly got the hell out of there. I felt a tinge of guilt hit me. Sadness and sympathy crept in. I felt sorry for him. But what was I to do? I had to protect myself and make sure that I’m in no danger before I jump into helping him. For all I know he is the master scam artist.

I got thinking real hard today because of this. I am sorry I could not help him. I am sorry I could not get enough information to convince myself that he really needed help. I don’t care if I have a nice place to stay in England! Chances are, I’ll never get there anywhere. All I need to know and be really sure of is that I won’t get conned. That he is genuine. But I was too worried and inexperienced to find out safely.

Questions came gushing in. Questions that might validate his case. I could have asked him about the place he stayed in Langkawi. But what for? I’ve never been there. What good does it do? I won’t know if there are places to get help there. Even if there was, he’s already here. A big duhh!! for me there.

I could also ask where was the police report done? Langkawi? KL? Let’s see, if he lost his belongings in Langkawi, how was it possible for him to get all the way to KL. He could use the remaining cash to sort things out there and then instead of spending it to travel to KL. Yeah, continue his trip to KL even though he’s been mugged shitless.

Has he sought the embassy’s help. British Embassy? If he’s in trouble the first help would be to ask for directions to the embassy where people serving his country would gladly sort things out for him, otherwise, what’s the point of such place? If he has gone there, what the hell is he doing on the streets wandering without valid travel documents?

There was a sidewalk café nearby and people were busy having their lunch. To this, I also wondered how it would have turned out if I bought him a drink while he tells his story, just so I could validate his case.

WTF! Are you nuts? And risk being hypnotized? The longer I stayed in the scene the riskier it gets, I believe.

Having said that, I now wish he is a scam artist. It’s bad karma if he was really in trouble. In that case I really hope he found somebody wiser and more experienced in handling such cases. I think a police officer would gladly help him, not financially but assistance to the right contacts. Or maybe an undercover cop so he’ll nab him the instant he smells a rat. They are trained in interrogations after all; or just someone with the right protection, like weapons and self defense skills, and are not afraid to use them if the situation warrants. Yah, they are the right people to seek. Polis Di Raja Malaysia. Mesra, Cepat dan Betul.

No comments:

Post a Comment