$1.99 Domains* at GoDaddy.com

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Call me Gus

I always have a little bit of fun during introduction sessions, awkward it may feel sometimes.

As soon as I say Agustus, they would say “Agusta?”

“No, that’s normally a girl’s name” I’d say.

When they attempt to write, it’s always with a ‘u’ after the ‘a’, which spells ‘augustus’.

“No, my name is without ‘u’. It’s not that I don’t like you, I just don’t have ‘u’ there.

And when they try to pronounce my name, it always sounds like Oh’gustus.

“No, my name is a’gustus, like, ‘a gust of wind’…”

That’s why I prefer to shorten my name to Agus, as in ‘ah, goose’.

“That’s like Indonesian for the month of August!” they’d say.

“Yes!”

So you’re Indonesian? No? Filipino? No? Are you sure?!

They don’t normally buy that I’m Malaysian, unless I include Sarawak in the picture. Even then, a gentleman told me once, “Are you sure? Cos I swear you’re so Filipino”

I always take it as a compliment. I’m different.

“Agus as in Bagus!” many say to start the ball rolling.

“I get that a lot, but yeah, BAGUS! Agus without the ‘B’, Agus B minus”
(Note: Bagus means 'Good' in Malay)

Sometimes they instantly say Sugus! It’s pretty old but I always try to be polite and let out a giggle all the time.

And just last weekend, I was at a birthday party with many new faces so people were chatting and introducing themselves.

“Sorry I didn’t get your name just now…”

“Oh, it's Agus”

I guess my voice must have got distorted by the crowd because he repeated “Anus?”

No comments:

Post a Comment