$1.99 Domains* at GoDaddy.com

Friday, July 14, 2006

Kayak krazy

Imagine kayaking in the rainforest. Or better still, do it!

After an exhilirating night out at the Rainforest World Music Festival on Saturday, I woke up the next morning ready for another dose of the rainforest. This time on a kayak, gliding on Sarawak Kiri river, within the vicinity of Borneo Heights.

I sprang out of bed despite being deprived of a few hours' sleep. It's a damn good thing I was free of alcohol, otherwise the hangover would spoil the much anticipated kayaking trip. And Francis assurance gave that extra boost. "The five girls from KL have confirmed their trip on Sunday. You're very lucky, you know that?"

I don't know about being lucky but hey, the more the merrier. Truth be told, the motivation was not meeting people (of similar or different gender), but the genuine experience of being one with nature, meandering down the river peacefully, soaking in the beauty and listening to the sounds of wildlife, the trees and the trickling water beneath a vividly colored kayak.

But if there are sporting, adventurous and friendly ladies sliding along, then listen to Gimli say ...

Erh, replace the axe with a paddle of course. Wouldn't want to lose their heads on the water. Harrrrgh!

Click here for the picture of the gang, posted by Francis.


While in Kuching, I had the privilege of going around town in this kayak crowned CRV. The attention makes me giggle. Who could miss such a sight? This is our arrival station, Semadang Village. We left one car here and drove to the put in (launching) spot, taking our kayaks further upstream by road.


Driving to get to Bengoh Village, our launching pad upstream.



And off we went. I took my camera out of the dry bag as soon as I was sure we won't flip. That didn't take long though. "You won't flip lah..." Francis told me, and he was right.


Hehe...my partner Beverly and I was always behind. Not that we needed to be alone or stuff. I just had to stop paddling to take pictures as we paddled along. And Bev was sporting to let me put down my paddle and just gaze.


Right behind you guys...
Still behind you... Oh, the shallow spot up front is covered with round rocks and gravels. They provide 'texture' to the mostly smooth glide. Rough enough to shake the tail feathers, or fur for that matter.


Oh, even though I could not swim, I was getting more delighted at the sight of mild rush like this, where the pebbles massaged our kayak's belly. It growled and burred. I guess it's the tingling vibration I get... (on my butt...shhhh).



Francis doing the 'vietnam lady paddler' act. Oh my, what hairy legs you have grandma...


Tic tac toes.


Right behind you captain!


We came across a man catching prawns and some clams.


So naturally we paddled closer and checked out his catch.


We huddled together like the city slickers we were and asked all sorts of questions and making all sorts of sounds.


Eh! Hmm, oh, the current was pulling us away. No wonder... but duh...!


All paddling is no fun. Get the drift.


Here's a reminder that the sun was still around, hot and stunning as ever, and the proof is on my burned shins. Thank goodness we're not on a lake!
Like watercolor...


This rocks!

All stoned...


Francis doing the 'vietnam lady paddler' thing again.



Do you see a rhinocerous?




WARNING!!! IMAGE OVERLOAD!!!

Oh heck, who cares..


Just slide...

Like roots gripping on solid rock.


Chilling my foot!


A side of a suspension bridge.


The other side... but duh?...


These boys were doing their thing, just fishing, when they saw us coming. They eventually went away. Reminds me of myself. My siblings and I would run and hide everytime we sense someone approaching while playing near the village road.


Hmm... grandma and grandson. Let's see what they have.
Bev and I approached them and we had a small chat. How delighted I was to find that they speak the same Bidayuh dialect as mine. I suppose all the villagers along this river share a similar dialect.
Before moving along, I asked for a picture. I slid off my kayak and moved into frame. Grandma was naturally shy and said she'd ruin the picture but I was persistent and she gracefully agreed. It's good to be near my roots.


Move along now, there's more to see.


Do you see a hippopotamus ar a platipus? Either way, it has a tuft of green hair. How cute.


We soon came to our pit stop, halfway through our journey. Mild rapids separated us from the second half of our tour.


Dead leaves resting peacefully at a corner, unaffected by the current.



A local taxi making its way through the rapids. This used to be the only way of getting around, before there was road. Now the vilagers use it to find sweet fishing spots, or cruise down to Kuching City Waterfront, just as sweet.



To film or to be filmed...


Interesting rock design.





Ok, obviously I love this whole setup.

Hehe, I couldn't resist. What was I suppose to do? This tour stirred up the juvenile me.


Don't ask why. I guess it's like playing on the roadside, close to the traffic.


A taxi passes by while Miriam floats around.


No photo please...


Chill...

All parked up.


Chilling my foot! Again.


After a good dip in the cool water, it was time to get moving, the second half of our tour ensued. All geared up, we set out to maneuver through the torrents and paddle our way down to Semadang village, final destination.

That's it folks, halfway through our journey. Stay tuned for the next round of pictures. Hope these last the weekend. Till then, bamboo leya....

P/s: I know that was a stream of image assault, insane to an extent, but didn't I tell ya? I've gone kayak krazy!

No comments:

Post a Comment