$1.99 Domains* at GoDaddy.com

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Jungle tune

The day finally came for me to make my way to Sarawak Cultural Village for the Rainforest World Music Festival 2006. The journey on Saturday evening took 45 minutes from Kuching City and since we set out quite late, 3.45pm, I was aching to reach there. The workshops started around 2pm, see, so I was regretting all the fun I had missed. Good thing the journey wasn't that bad. Although the road there could use major repairs, a lot! Awfully bumpy and wavy if you ask me.
When I finally saw Santubong Mountain, I knew we were near. But it is a huge mountain, so this view was merely a pretty sight, we were not really there yet.

After we parked our car, there was still some walking to do. It was about 400 meters downhill though (correct me if I'm wrong).
At 4.45pm I was at one of the workshop, Bollywood Bangra dance workshop. The Dhol Association of Malaysia worked the crowd good. Like nice firm dough.


Everybody learned to shake their booties bollywood style. It soon ended at 5.15pm and people went their own way to freshen up for the concert, which was due to start at 7.15pm. Everything inside the festival area was pricey so we drove out to a nearby seafood restaurant to get our fix but I guess we didn't know the right spot. Needless to say, the food sucked as well.


We came back in at 7pm and people were swarming the place. No wonder it was disapointingly deserted during the day. The weather was freaking hot so most or the visitors decided to just attend the concert instead. High expectation for a good night out.


Everybody booked their place on the forest floor, waiting for the concert to start. Here's the list of performers that Saturday night.


Do the Austrian yodel (Hotel Palindrone).

Hotel Palindrone performing. They got things warmed up a little.

Calle Sur. The South Americans who picked up the beat and made things hot.

Look at the crowd! It was a party alright! Hands in the air...

Peatbog Faeries of Scotland made for a great finale. They rocked the party hard!
Great Scot! The crowd loved them to bits!
Accompanied by Kilema from Madagascar.


Blow it good...

What can I say? It was the best street party/concert I ever had! I danced as mad as the rest of the crowd. It was good, intense and loud.

The only sad thing is that I learned that my equipment is not fit for nights like these. My pictures were blur and the image reach was poor in stage lightitng condition (what were you thinking...?)

Maybe I was too damn excited that I couldn't stabilize my shots. Where is the stabilizer when I need it. I guess it's time for an upgrade. I only have the fact that I enjoyed myself thoroughly that night to compensate for the poor quality pictures I managed to take. Apart from that, the festival was great.

Go ahead, ask me how it was and I'll tell you it was good through and through. I'm booking my ticket for next year very soon. The date is up, Rainforest World Music Festival 2007 is on 13-15 July 2007. Do you feel lucky?


No comments:

Post a Comment