$1.99 Domains* at GoDaddy.com

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Grow some balls

I was in Labuan for work from Sunday till Tuesday recently. It's a duty free island and you know what that means, cheap booze. I had unhealthy portions of chocolate as well. And the seafood is always fresh, firm and succulent!

The boss and I had lunch at Mawilla Yatch Club by the sea after touchdown on Sunday. I called for salted egg prawns, kangkung belacan and ikan kerapu tiga rasa.


I only managed to get a picture of the prawns. They add sweet corn to the dish here in Labuan which is new to me and it didn't do much good because it masked the salted egg flavor.  But I must say the prawns are as fresh as they get.  Firm and juicy.  Crunch and Squirt! (The next day we ordered calamari with salted egg which was superb; less corny too.  Must order!)

The fish was fried too crispy, leaving no freshness to be enjoyed.  Too much air and fluff due to deep frying till the bone, literally. My boss didn't like the gravy because it was simply not 'tiga rasa'. The water spinnach with fermented shrimp paste or belacan was standard issue though. 

The view is always nice here.  If only it wasn't too hot in the afternoon.  The pilot informed us that the temperature was 34 degrees C upon landing at about 11.30am that Sunday.

One thing I didn't get though. The place is called Mawilla Yatch Club but the napkin says Growball Cinemax Restaurant & Lounge.


And there's no yatch in sight.

3 comments:

  1. oh my god....i kill for those prawns hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. alamak....prawns...love them and hate them...love coz darn sedap..hate coz cholestrol :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lup the prawns veli much ohhh..about the Growball Cinemax think they are the operator for the f & b in Mawilla Yatch Club. My guess haha..tQ

    ReplyDelete