$1.99 Domains* at GoDaddy.com

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Powerless over HP power adapter

I have been using my Presario B1200 for a year and two months now and I already have two unusable power adapters.  Today marks my third power adapter with this laptop.

The original adapter failed me just a year after I bought my laptop.  Needless to say, the warranty period means nothing at that point.  I browsed a few major computer stores in Digital Mall Section 14 only to find out that the original adapter sells for RM190. Yes, the bigger plug cost more.  Size does matter it seems. 

Not willing to fork an extra 100, I opted for the generic adapter at RM90.  That was one month ago, and I was an idiot. 

The store staff advised me to buy original since the generic part only has one month warranty.  And it poses an unknown risk to my laptop since it bears no responsibility or commitment whatsoever from HP.  But I was an idiot.

My laptop has been going in and out of charging mode for the past three days and everytime it does, the USB unplug notification pops up for my wireless device.  Come 11am today, my laptop suddenly switched off.  No power.

I restarted only to find out that the battery is completely empty and my adapter is not charging at all.  This happened only a month ago with the original adapter.  I had to continue office work on another PC at work.  After lunch I rushed to digital mall to look for the original adapter. Luckily there is a service center that sells original adapters.  I told the engineer my situaton and he told me that generic adapters don't supply the correct power ratio,something about peak power rating and stuff.

"They may be cheap, like thirty to sixty bucks each, but your hardware may get damaged." He added.

"Cheap?  That stupid generic cost me 90 bucks" I exclaimed and his jaws dropped as he took a step back.

"Yeah, I got cheated alright!" I told him.

He told me he sells the original at 120 bucks.  That's a good deal so I told him to throw in the power cable as well.  An extra 10 bucks for that. 

Coupled with a three months guarantee, I sealed the deal.

This one better last more than a year.  Make that three. People don't change adapters every year for heaven's sake.



Maybe I'm wrong.

8 comments:

  1. hhahahaahha.....u'd better use the genuine one before your laptop dies on u...possible?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I buy all kinds of generic power supply and adapters. Never had any problem with any of them. Maybe you just had a lemon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have my 3rd mouse for my laptop and 3rd adapter for my Dell Laptop...Different countries seem affect my adapter ability to work well...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucky for you your battery didn't explode/leak/burn a hole through your table/lap.

    I've never seen my adaptar die before. This is my 3rd Dell and I'm still on my 1st adaptor with two nicely wrapped up new ones kept in the cabinet.

    Maybe you iz unlucky. Tiger year bad for alotta people apparently.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hmm.. When i was using my old laptop, I never had to change the adapter, ever... I guess it's just your luck?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my! That sure was painful. There went a steak, or two.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm having the same problem with my HP adapter. Sometimes the battery do not get charged and the light goes blinking!

    Better go get a new one, I guess.

    ReplyDelete