$1.99 Domains* at GoDaddy.com

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Fixed!

It was a sad day when I found out that my Olympus mju (read: mew) 300 of 4 years failed on me last Sunday. It happened just when there was a perfect photo opportunity; I brought my camera but it just won’t activate. The sliding cap wouldn’t open all the way for the camera operation. I applied some force but nothing happened. There goes another great companion, I reflected. And with it, burns a grand and a little more.

I had to endure hours of anxiety and heartbreak before I could get home to my tools and do a simple diagnosis. And to rub it all in, the tool that I thought I had was no where to be found. I had to wait till Monday to buy a set of precision screwdrivers.

Here’s what I saw on Monday.




The activation mechanism was jammed. The switch holder’s latch/stopper had broken under pressure (maybe due to repeated depression in my pocket and/or travel luggage) and the whole setup was pushed back into the camera. After tinkering with it for several minutes, I learned that it could still operate if the holder was pulled up to its correct position. I figured if I could come up with a latch, preferably a thin metal to be fixed with the available screw, it could stop the holder from 'sinking' into the camera, and I could still save my private Ryan.

The solution came from an obsolete item; the sliding cover of a 3.5” diskette.

Like a miniature blacksmith I carved the desired shape; all the while beaming with confidence and knowledge that I could fix it.

(Cue Bob the builder's theme song: “Bob the builder, can he fix it? YES HE CAN!”)



After all was said and done, my mju was whole again. It slides and latches like new; that'll do, mju.



At times like these, the mastercard moment flashes on.

Price of a new camera, 1.5 grand, max, SAVED!
The satisfaction of revival, PRICELESS.

Next stop will be Olympus service center to get the switch holder replaced. That shouldn’t cost much since it is made of just plastic and metal parts and no electronic components.


No comments:

Post a Comment