$1.99 Domains* at GoDaddy.com

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Burr Coffee Mill

This is my recent investment in all things coffee. It's an Italian made, hand cranked burr coffee mill or grinder. I bought this RM128 mill at La Gourmet restaurant at The Curve on Monday. However I only began testing it yesterday and I must say I am pretty darn happy with it. Even though I have yet to get the perfect setting for my espresso machine, this, my new baby has a wide range of grind settings to choose from; from a very coarse grind to the very fine.

I previously have a De Longhi electric blade grinder. It can still grind but it got old pretty quick. It didn't give me good ground coffee. And the cleaning part is a pain.

Burr mills/grinders are better than blade grinder since they give a uniform grind. None of that chunky bits of beans you get when using blade grinders. Burr grinders come in two types; hand cranked and electric operated. The latter is more convenient but is much expensive compared to his classic cranky cousin. And they say people buy this hand cranked mill to get more involved in their coffee experience. But after some tests which demands elbow grease, I'm convinced I bought mine exclusively due to a tight budget. Otherwise, I would get a medium range quiet electric burr grinder. I get to keep my elbow ligaments much longer. Plus, there is no need to get cranky everytime I need a shot of espresso. But hey, there's a time for everything. One thing's certain, it's now in my never-ending list of realistic desired items.

Stay tuned for more in depth review as I experiment with this contraption, if indeed you're interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment